In my attempt to follow a healthier lifestyle, I have been trying to play with different ingredients. This week I experimented with almond meal. I had it sitting on my pantry for a few months now and I finally decided to try it out.
These almond bites were so delicious! Imagine a smaller, more chewy biscotti – that’s it, right there! Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. If you love that nutty flavor then these cookies are for you. To make it even better, these cookies require NO flour, NO butter and NO oil. Boom. You’re welcome.
- 2 1/4 cups of almond meal (do not get almond flour, the consistency and the measurement will be off)
- 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp of Truvia or your favorite sweetener (just be careful because sweeteners are sweeter than sugar).
- 1 cup of sliced almonds.
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of egg whites
- Powdered sugar (completely optional)
- Two large bowls
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a cookie sheet, line it with parchment paper.
- Mix the almond meal, sweetener, vanilla extract and egg whites in a mixing bowl. Refer to the picture below for the consistency you should be looking for. If the dough is too wet or not holding together, feel free to add a bit more almond meal. Or if it’s too dry, add a bit more egg whites.
- Make dough into equal sized balls.
- Pour raw almonds in a separate mixing bowl.
- Roll balls in the raw almonds and give them a good coat.
- Place balls in cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until your cookies are golden and hard to the touch.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Let them cool and enjoy! (or eat them hot, I love hot cookies).